Marker Details: Opening in 1928, El Mirador was one of the most fashionable resorts of its day, catering to movie stars and captains of industry. When the U.S. entered WWII in 1941, the hotel was purchased by the federal government and converted into Torney General Hospital, treating wounded soldiers. After the war, the hotel reopened, but the easterly portion of the property became a community hospital. The hotel closed permanently in 1973 and Desert Hospital was built where the hotel once stood. The main hotel building and its tower remained standing, however, until destroyed by fire in July 1989. This accurate reconstruction was completed in May 1991. HSPB-1. This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.