Marker Details: This structure was built c. 1934 by the California Water & Telephone Company as a business office and switching center. It was purchased by General Telephone in 1967 and continued as a switching center until 1984. The structure is constructed of poured-in-place concrete highlighted by a Spanish Eclectic facade. HSPB-26. This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.