Marker Details: This is the site of the first community church in Palm Springs. Welwood Murray donated the land in 1906 and the little church stood as a landmark in the Village until 1934. The existing Carnell Building, designed by Harold Williams, was completed in 1936. Julia Carnell, owner of National Cash Register, financed both this building and the development of La Plaza. HSPB-11. This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.